Take a flashlight and climb up into the attic. Go down in your basement and dig through your storage room.
The San Francisco Fire Department and the San Francisco Fire Department Historical Society are looking for all and sundry items of memorabilia, photographs, oral histories, and artifacts to exhibit at our 1906 Great Earthquake and Fire Centennial Expo extravaganza which takes place April 15, 16 and 17, 2006 at Pier 48 on the Embarcadero.
The San Francisco Fire Department of today reveres our department’s legacy and takes pride in being part of an institution that time and time again, has come to the rescue of our great city, allowing San Francisco to grow, flourish and prosper for over 150 years.
The San Francisco Fire Department Historical Society has reserved Pier 48, and the surrounding area, a venue of 220,000 sq. ft. with free parking for all during those three days in April. Our plans include:
- Two day muster, with teams competing in hose cart races, bucket brigade, motorized pumping events, etc.
- Over 150 vintage fire apparatus from all over the US
- Replica of 1906 fire station with a horse-drawn steam engine
- Historical displays of other City departments and period civic organizations
- Emergency preparedness demonstrations and displays by NERT and OES
- Display and operations of SFFD historic apparatus
- Period dress contest
- Seminars by published authors, Q & A, and book signings
- Tours on fireboats Phoenix and Guardian
- Historical photographs and memorabilia
- Food and beverages
- Live entertainment and period bands
- Firefighters Ball Saturday, April 16, open to the public
- Vendor displays and souvenir sales
- And much more
The San Francisco Fire Department is determined not to let the seminal event in our city’s history pass without a rip roaring, chest-thumping, heartwarming celebration of who we are and from where we have come. We need your help and support to ensure that the SFFD & SFFDHS's 1906 Centennial Expo showcases the vital role we have played and continue to play in the lives of our citizens and the history of our great city.
The SFFD Historical Society will need an army of volunteers to assist in the organization and implementation of this great undertaking. Check out the Society’s web site at wvvw.1906expo.com to see how you can become a part of this great event. This event is free to the public and will be widely advertised with estimated attendance to exceed 100,000. This 1906 Centennial Exposition is the perfect time for the SFFD and its present and past members to show to San Franciscans why this is the greatest fire department in the world.
For more information, please contact Captain James J. Lee, Support Service/Bureau of Equipment, SFFD, 2501 25th Street, SF, 94110; (415) 558-3514; FAX (415) 821-7518; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
FF Paul L. Barry, BOE, President, SFFD Historical Society (415)706-7994; E-mail email@example.com
Source: SFFD Local 798 online webpage at http://www.sffdlocal798.org/Vol34no01/Earthquake1.html
Back to the Top